Wednesday 9 June 2010

DIY Mobile

My other half recently found out he was to become an uncle, so naturally we wanted to give something cool to the proud new parents. The idea of a (home made) baby mobile came up, which we both thought was a great idea, especially as we didn't know if the baby was going to be a boy or girl just yet.

When I couldn't find a tutorial for the kind of mobile I had in mind (i.e. one with a motor, so it spins), we resorted to outside-the-box thinking. May it be noted that my other half is rather good at this kind of thing! Hence the idea to buy a pre-existing design and modify it.

This proved to be the easiest way to proceed, so we got a simple, inexpensive one which I could add my own toy shapes to in place of the ones the mobile came with. One of the benefits of this approach was that it provided a stable framework from which to start, and the clip/arm for attaching to the baby's cot. The last thing I wanted was for it to end up looking like a botched DIY attempt made with coathangers!

Well, it has now been gifted so I can share it with you :) Here is a little clip of it in action:



P.S. Do excuse the whirring...apparently my camera always does this!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! It's so good to see it in action & see all the other figures (man with beard! hee!), it looks fantabulous. :D x C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) The Man with Beard is supposed to be kind of like a South Park version of OH!!

    ReplyDelete